This is a question that is often asked by wine enthusiasts. How many people truly enjoy making and bottling their own wine? Is there really a market for the supplies and where can those who want to make their own wine go to purchase these supplies? In short, wine making has become increasingly popular. While it can be easier to go the local store and grab a couple of bottles of two buck chuck, imagine how much fun it can be to open a bottle for your friends that you make on your own.
Why Wine Making is Popular
• Cost – While it is not much more costly to make a gallon of wine than it is to purchase it, there is a sense of accomplishment when the fermentation and aging periods are over and you can actually drink your mature wine. The cost of the ingredients can actually be more than a gallon of wine, but the equipment is going to set you back initially.
• Ease – There are some wines that are incredibly easy to start off with. Mead and red wines are two of the easiest wines to make at home and are great wines for the beginning wine makers to try. There are recipes that are going to be more difficult that you can move on to after learning the easy ones.
• Versatility – When making your own wine, you have more diversity in the ingredients that are being used in it. Making a white wine with a peach flavor is quite easy when you have the technique down. While you may be able to purchase a peach flavored wine at a store, you can control what type of peaches and how many are used.
How to Get Started
• Purchase the Equipment – You are going to have to spend a bit of money initially on the equipment that is going to be used to prepare, ferment and distill the wine. This is going to be a one-time cost and can be figured out in the overall cost of making many bottles of your own vino.
• Find Wine Making Recipes – There are many places on the Internet that offer easy to difficult wine making recipes. Start with the easy ones and then work your way up to the hard ones so you are not going to be disappointed and give up on your adventure.
• Be Patient – The only way that you are going to be able to allow all the steps of wine making to get done is to be patient. If you rush any step, you are not going to have a good end product. Give the wine time to mature; this is the longest step in the process and the most important.