Posted on 05 August 2012.
There are a lot of people who enjoy a great glass of wine with their evening meal. Others like to sip a glass of wine just before bedtime to help them fall asleep faster. Drinking wine is a great way to enjoy the health benefits associated with the extract found in the wine.
Making homemade wine is a fun hobby for many. The homemade variety is also better for your health than store bought because you control the ingredients. By using fresh, wholesome ingredients you homemade wine is much better for you than what you buy in the store. It is also much cheaper to make wine at home.
Making wine at home is not difficult as long as you have a few basic instructions. Chances are that you already have many of the needed supplies to get you started. If you want you can purchase a kit from local merchants or from the internet. A kit is really not necessary and will probably cost you more money than you would spend with just using items you have around your home.
Homemade grape wine is very healthy when you drink it in moderation. Fresh grapes contain antioxidants that help rid the body of harmful free radicals. The concentration of grapes in the wine adds a powerful punch of these antioxidants. By using fresh organic grapes you will be assured that you are not putting additives and chemicals into the wine. Wine that is professionally made has a lot of additives to enhance the taste and to preserve the freshness. These additives take away from the healthy benefits that are associated with wine.
The key to drinking wine for health benefits it to limit the amount of wine you consume on a daily basis. A couple of glasses are recommended to get the desired health benefits. The benefits include promoting heart health and blood enrichment.
The best wine for health benefits is grape wine but you can also get health benefits from other fruit wines as well. Cranberry wine is great for those who like a wine that is a little tart and is not quite as sweet as grape. Cranberry juice is also a known flush for kidneys. People who suffer from frequent urinary tract infections can benefit from wine made from cranberries. Many places have fresh cranberries that have not been treated with chemicals. Organic cranberries may cost a little more but the benefit is worth it.
If you want to save money you should always buy fruits that are in season. They are cheaper at this time and they are also fresher and have a better taste. If you want to have wine the year round you might consider making several batches while the fruit of choice is in season. The great thing about wine, after it is processed it will get better with age.
Homemade wine will always be better for you than professional made wines because you control the ingredients you use and you have the choice of the fruit. Once you start making your own you will probably never want to go back to the store to buy wine again.
Posted in Winemaking 101
Posted on 03 April 2012.
If you thought that wine is only for drinking, you need to think again. There are many more uses to wine…
- Drinking wine – Of course, the most common use is still drinking it. However, even here, there are many ways to use. You can have an aperitif wine, which as the name indicates it is supposed to act as an appetizer, and these are usually drank before the meal is served. Then, you will have the red wines which are usually served with dinner – read meat and spicy foods. The red wine can be savored throughout the dinner, because at the end another wine could be served, i.e. the dessert wine. Desert wines are sweeter than normal wines and are consumed along or after the desserts. Lastly, there the white wines too which complement light dishes, such as white meat (fish, chicken). So now you have one type of wine for each type of meals you have, not to mention the several dessert wines!
- Cooking with wine – there are many foods that are enhanced by cooking with wine. The wine used for this purpose will have to be not too flavored and not too blasé. A light dish should use a light wine, and a spicy dish should use a heavy wine so the essence of one is not lost in the other. The best part of wine pairings is to achieve that exact balance between the flavor of the wine and that of the dish that is being cooked.
- Wine in religious connotation – Jews use wine in almost all holidays. On Passover, There is an obligation to drink four cups of wine (or pure grape juice) during the Seder. This applies to both men and women. The Mishnah says that even the poorest man in Israel has an obligation to drink. The Church has use wine as a symbol of Lord Jesus Christ’s sacrifice and crucifixion. A good number of denominations of the Church of Christ (Catholic, Roman Orthodox, Anglican, Lutheran, Baptist, and so on) use the wine to commemorate the ultimate sacrifice that Jesus made for the world.
- Celebrating with wine – Champagne is a world most famous wine meant only for celebrations. There is no wedding, no successful sports event, no grand prix, no real celebration actually without the bubbly, as Champagne is nicknamed. Wherever you go across the globe, Champagne has become synonymous with celebration of a grand event.
- Making vinegar – The regular made out of wine is a lot better than the synthetic vinegar. The wine-vinegar is done with extra care to hold the flavor of the grapes contained, without loosing sight of the ultimate result required. This is why a good vinegar made out of wine possesses the exact balance between sweetness and sourness. The natural vinegar is tastier, healthier and better flavored than any synthetic vinegar available in the market today.
Look at the above list and you will understand how versatile this beverage is. Right from drinking it to cooking in it, it touches our hearts in many ways than one. On e very critical use is the fact the wine keeps us healthy. It is packed with antioxidants, for which people who consume it regularly do away with cardiac problems and aging. Both of these reasons being good enough to become a life-long fan of this wonderful beverage.
Posted in Featured