Posted on 19 February 2012.
First of all, let us see what do we understand when we say ‘grape varietals’. Many really do not know the actual meaning of the word, though they know what type of wines are called varietals.
In ordinary circumstances, wines are made out of one type of grapes, majority of times coming from one regions vineyards. This is how certain wines are known by their flavor from which region/country/place they have been manufactured.
However, when a variety of grapes are mixed with another in a ratio of 1:3, then that wine is called varietals wine. Usually the “mixing” grapes are Chardonnay, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Merlot and so on. These varietals are held in high esteem all over the world. Most of these types of wines are world famous and often times unaffordable by the common man. Mixing grape varietals creates affordable and delectable wines…
Characteristics of some of he best varietals in the world
- Cabernet Sauvignon – this is one the best red wines in the world, having its origin inBordeaux (France), You will also find it in California Napa Valley.
- Chardonnay – If reports are to be believed, this wine is the most bought white wine in the world. Since this wine is processed in wooden barrels as per the ancient traditions, its taste, flavour and body are exceptional.
- Merlot – this is as famous and expensive as the best red wine in the world, the Cabernet Sauvigon. Merlot is famous for its different flavors one of which is chocolate.
- Pint blanc – this wine is very fruity and dry. It is exceptionally tasty, if you like apple and spices taste. This wine is as popularas the Chardonnay, though it does not age as well as the latter.
- Pinot Noir – This hint of raspberry and cherry taste, red wine with a comes from the region of Burgundy and is reported to be one of the best wines in the world.
There are a number of inexpensive wines in this bracket as well, and these are the Semillon which originates from California , Riesling which is a wine that comes from Germany, Pinot Gris is a white wine coming from Oregon USA and so on.
Benefits of he varietals
As you can see some of the best wines in the world are originating from grape varietals. These wines are in no way inferior to any other wines – rather hey are well sought after, some of them being hot favorites for the crème-a-la-crème of the world.
The advantages of these wines are that they are capable of capturing and showcasing two-three different tastes in the wine making the wine exquisite in taste. The color, the texture and the body of the wine too are a little extra than the normal wines of the world.
People all over the world have fallen in love with the different types of wine which thankfully have been blended because of the varietals. Imagine what it would be if all the wines were the same in taste, color and body? Not much fun isn’t it?
Posted in Winemaking 101